Sunday, February 22, 2009

Maybe they're not getting any...

You know, for a country that prides itself on being the "best", this is a pretty hateful country. I don't even know how to deal with it sometimes. If you are a different color, ethnicity, religion, gender-identity, or sexual orientation, watch out! You are fair game. There will be laws against you. But, most of all (and the hardest to fight), public opinion will be against you. How do you fight that?

Now, obviously, some of these laws have been overturned. Like slavery, Jim Crow laws, the laws against discrimination based on race or gender. Oh, but not gender identity. Not sexual orientation. Legally? Still free game. I tell you, it makes me just want to sit here and scream obscenities.

I feel so helpless. I am one person. And, like I said, how do you fight public opinion? Especially, when the opinion is being formed by the one thing that is hardest to fight: religion. Oh yeah, don't fuck with people's religion. First off, there is not a chance in hell they will believe you. They get that whole "what my pastor says is true" thing going. And, even if you crack through their facade, just a little, they will turn cartwheels to make sure that you will never win the argument.
I just can't understand how they can keep defending this argument? How does a person keep up this level of hate and not self-destruct? How can they care so much about something that has nothing to do with them? I swear, this is giving me a headache in my eye.

The only answer I can come up with is sex. I think that if being gay had nothing to do with sex, then there wouldn't be all this fuss about it. Same with gender identity. If it had nothing to do with the "naughty parts", then would anyone really care?

Look at birth control. These same people seem hell-bent on making sure that kids don't have it. Now, while I don't want young kids having sex, I would rather they had protected, rather than unprotected, sex, no matter what. But, what about older teens and young adults? Really, why is waiting for marriage the only way to do it? Shouldn't we be teaching that they should be waiting for love? What is wrong with learning how to enjoy each other(safely), as long as there is mutual respect and caring?

I think there are people in this world who are miserable and won't be happy till we are all as miserable as them. Except, I still think they won't be happy. I blame religion, most specifically those that teach that sex is bad (except for procreation) and that women are sinful.

My RH is talking about religion again and he is wanting to be involved in it again. Now, I am getting a headache in my other eye.

2 comments:

p said...

Thanks for everything you do Vickye. Most people would probably say "thanks for everything you do for us" (referring to gays/ lesbians). By standing up for equal rights, you do this for EVERYONE!

Cyn said...

Wow do you have a lot of passion and way to go acting on it! I hope to get through some of your older entries while following along with the new ones.

It might do me good to check out some non-surro related thoughts!