Sunday, May 31, 2009

Inspiration can come from the strangest places

You know, you don't know me. You don't really know if I am gay or if I am straight. But, that didn't stop you from yelling in my face, screaming the word "gay", as though it was a bad thing. That didn't stop any of you from pushing me or touching me, even though I went out of my way to have no physical contact with you.

It didn't stop you from hating me. You say you don't, but your actions say different. You say you "love the sinner, hate the sin", but your love is a strange one to me. Because I don't steal from those I love. I don't manipulate court systems to take away civil rights from those I love. And I certainly don't look at them the way you looked at me tonight. So, love? I do not think that word means what you think it means.

I don't hate you. But, I hate what you've done. I hate that you made a mockery of our state's initiative process. I hate that you shredded the Constitution. I hate that people fell for your lies and voted against civil rights. And I felt sick to my stomach with fear for this country, when I learned that the travesty that is Prop 8 is being upheld by six of the seven state supreme court justices.

But, dancing on the grave of equality? The way you did tonight? You put a fire in me. A fire that will burn long and hard. A fire that will keep me sustained when all feels lost. I will pour everything I have into defeating this. So, where tonight might have depressed me, it only inspired me to fight harder. And the best part? You started it, but you will never put it out.

Huh. Irony much?

No comments: